Clarence House confirmed that the 71-year-old royal had been diagnosed with the COVID-19 disease in a statement released this morning.
The heir to the throne is said to have displayed “mild symptoms” on Sunday and was then tested on Monday, with the results coming through late on Tuesday night.
Charles “otherwise remains in good health” and has been self-isolating in Scotland with the Duchess of Cornwall– who has tested negative for coronavirus.
Prince Charles is the eldest child of the Queen and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. As someone over 70, he is considered to be at higher risk than average for coronavirus.
Earlier this month, his office said he was not yet self-isolating because UK government and medical advice at the time were not advising over-70s to do so.
On March 13, Prince Charles and his wife announced they were canceling their spring tour due to the escalating coronavirus pandemic. The pair had been set to visit Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jordan.
However, Charles has also been working from home over the last few days, and has held a number of private meetings with Highgrove and Duchy of Cornwall individuals, all of whom have been made aware.
A number of household staff at Birkhall – the prince’s residence on the Balmoral estate – are now self-isolating at their own homes.
A palace source said the prince has spoken to both the Queen and his sons – the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex – and is in good spirits.
Corona Cases In The UK
The UK reported 8,077 coronavirus cases and 422 deaths.A total of 8,077 people have been diagnosed with coronavirus in the UK and 422 people have died, the National Health Service said on Tuesday, March 24, after Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced a strict lockdown on the entire country.